The harbor is Dragør's lifeblood and has for many years been the basis for the city's existence.
In the Middle Ages Dragør was known as an international market for herring for Hanse merchants, where herring was shipped to several European countries.
In the 16th century, it is believed that the Dutch peasants in Store Magleby began the construction of an actual port. In history, Dragør Old Town and Harbor has been one of the most important maritime cities in Denmark, both in the latter half of the 18th century and again in the late 1800s, where the vast majority of the houses in the old town were also built.
Today there are a few fishermen left and a pilot station, and otherwise sailors, maritime clubs, museums and restaurants live side by side, creating life in the old part of the harbor, which has remained largely unchanged since 1850.